- 1 beef pot roast, about 3 to 4 pounds
- 2 tablespoons oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 medium onions, halved and sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup cooking sherry
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon rosemary, crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon ground marjoram
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1 can (4 to 6 ounces) sliced mushrooms with liquid
- 1 tablespoon flour blended with 3 tablespoons cold water
Trim roast then dredge in flour. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat; brown the beef on all sides. Season with salt and pepper. Add onions. Combine the water, ketchup, sherry, garlic, seasonings, and bay leaf; add to the pot. Cover and cook over low heat for 2 1/2 hours, or until tender. Add mushrooms with their liquid and heat through. Remove meat to a warm platter. Skim fat off pan juices. Stir in flour and water mixture, cooking and stirring until sauce is thickened. Serve over the pot roast.
Serves 6 to 8.
- from About.com
I love beef. One of the best pot roast I’ve tasted is in Kafe Kapitan in Marikina.