Pancit Molo Ingredients:
- 1 cup ground pork
- 1/2 cup cooked chicken meat, flaked
- 1/4 cup water chestnuts, chopped
- 3 tbsp patis (fish sauce)
- salt to taste
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 25-30 wonton wrappers
- pepper to taste
- chopped spring onions
- oil for sauteing
Pancit Molo Cooking Instructions:
- To prepare filling: Combine ingredients in a bowl but use onlly 1 tsp green onions, salt to taste, and 1 tbsp patis. Set aside the remaining ingredients for the broth.
- Put 1 tbsp of the meat mixture in the center of each wonton wrapper.
- Wrap by folding one side of the wrapper to cover the filling completely, then turning the “unfilled” sides of the wrapper up so that the dumpling resembles a flower. (The filled portion should be in the center.)
- Cover the dumplings with a dry kitchen towel and set aside.
- To make broth: – Saute onion and garlic in oil until light brown.
- Add chicken stock and the remaining salt and patis from the filling.
- Allow to boil, the drop the stuffed dumplings into the boiling broth.
- Stir the remaing meat mixture into the broth. Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Season with pepper to taste.
- Before serving, garnish with chopped spring onions.
Pancit Molo from an Ilonggo restaurant is the best, but the one I can't forget is a similar dish I ate in a market in Taipei when I was there in 1985.